Salt extraction at La Palma, Canary IslandsI’m not saying don’t consume salt, we need salt, in fact you can’t live without it. What I’m saying is that ordinary table salt and the salt found in processed foods is not good for you. What you really need is natural salt. One damages your health, the other one assists the body to heal.

Like so many foods that are processed from natural foods, the healthiest parts are removed. We seem obsessed in processing certain foods to make them white! Salt that has been processed is 98% sodium chloride the other 2% comes mostly from man made chemicals and sometimes they add back a bit of iodine that was stripped out in the processing. Fancy some ferrocyanyde? How about a pinch of sodium-aluminosilicate or magnesium carbonate?

On the other hand, natural salt is around 85% sodium chloride. What makes up the rest of the natural salt are naturally occurring minerals. It varies according to the source. It contains trace minerals like vanadium, silicon and phosphorous.

So what’s the best choice? Look for some Himalayan salt. It is extremely old and pure, having been matured under immense tectonic pressure. It contains some 84 trace minerals that were found in prehistoric oceans.  Because it has been buried for so long, it does not contain any of the pollutants found in our oceans today.

Now salt is good for you and it is essential, but it must be used in moderation.

Some of the health benefits of unrefined natural salt are:

  • Creating a healthy libido
  • Reduces the chances of developing gallbladder and kidney stones when compared to table salt
  • Reduced muscle cramps
  • Assists in carrying nutrients into and out of your cells
  • Assists in food being absorbed in the intestinal tract
  • Assists in creating greater bone strength
  • Combined with water, assists in regulating blood pressure

As you can see, there are some great benefits from making the change!

Want to look after your health the better way? – Check out Health Naturally Magazine with your iPad.